-General Information

-GC Services

-Traffic School

Traffic - General Information

>How much is my fine?
>Court Appearances
>Postponement of a Traffic Court Trial
>Trial by Declaration
>Proof of Correction
>Payment Requests
>Credit Card Payments
>What if I do not appear or pay my fine?

The Nevada Superior Court handles citations issued by law enforcement agencies in Nevada County. This includes Grass Valley PD, Truckee PD, Nevada City PD, California Highway Patrol and others.

Court Appearances
Your citation is a notice to appear before the court to be arraigned on the charges on the citation. You then respond to the charges against you pleading either guilty, not guilty or no contest. Certain factors can affect the date that you are required to appear as noted below.

Mandatory Appearance in the Nevada City Division: You must appear on the date noted at 8:30am if you are an adult or 3:00pm if you are under 18.

Mandatory Appearance in the Truckee Branch: You must call the court to schedule a court date at 530/582-7835. Please inform the clerk if you will require an interpreter.

Continuance: Nevada City: If you cannot appear on the date listed on your citation, you can request a Continuance (extension). This form is available at our offices. The form must be received by us on or before your court date.

Truckee: If you wish to request a new court date you must call the court at 530/582-7835 to schedule a continuance if required.

Pleading Guilty or No Contest (Bail Forfeiture): The fine amount or "bail" on the Courtesy Notice is the amount of money required to guarantee your appearance in Court. If your violation does not require a mandatory court appearance, then you may just pay the bail on the citation without appearing before the judge, this is called Bail Forfeiture. The citation is deemed paid, and a resulting conviction for the violation you were cited for will be reported on your driving record. Please note your docket number on your check or money order. If you can not send the entire bail amount and want to make payments, then you must appear in court on the date scheduled. (In Truckee you must call for the court date.)

Pleading Not Guilty: If you wish to contest charges against you by pleading not guilty, you must first fill out the necessary paperwork so that a trial date can be set. These forms available by coming into our offices. (In Truckee you may send your not guilty plea by mail and we will send you the forms.) We must receive your forms on or before the date of your hearing. Upon receipt of the signed forms in our office, a Court Trial will be set and you will be notified of that date by mail. (See also Trial by Declaration). Once the trial date has been set, the officer will be subpoenaed to appear in court. At the trial, the Court will listen to the statement of the sworn witnesses against you, and you may in turn question each witness. You then present your case and the Court will rule on the matter.

If you have photos, diagrams, reports, or any other exhibits that you plan to present, bring them with you on your trial date. If you wish to have witnesses necessary for your defense, you need to ask them to appear or have them subpoenaed to appear if you think they will not do so willingly. You can obtain the subpoena form at our offices and we will assist you in filling out and serving the subpoena.
Top of Page

Request for Postponement of a Traffic Court Trial: 
Requests for postponement of a traffic court trial should be filed at least 15 days prior to the Court Trial hearing date. The request, and any objection, will be submitted to a judicial officer for review, and will be granted only for good cause. You will be notified by mail whether your request is granted or denied. You may also contact the court for status of the request. If you submit your request less than 15 days before trial, it may be denied.

To request a postponement, complete the court form  Request for Postponement of Traffic Court Trial . A copy must be served on the opposing party.

  • Objecting to a Request for Postponement of a Traffic Court Trial:
If you are the opposing party and you object to the request for postponement, you may file an objection using the form  Objection to Postponement of Traffic Court Trial  within 5 days from the date of service of the Request for Postponement.

If you do NOT object to this continuance, but there are dates certain you will not be available for trial in the next two months, please notify the court by phone or in writing of those dates as soon as possible.
  • Requests for Continuance of a Traffic Court Trial less than 15 days before the Court Trial:
If you are seeking a continuance of your traffic trial less than 15 days before the trial date, you must follow the noticed motion procedures set forth in Penal Code 1050(b), et seq.
Top of Page

Trial by Declaration:
If you are from out of town or if it would be difficult for you to make an appearance, you can request a trial by declaration (trial by mail) by calling our offices and requesting the forms and further instructions based on your citation.

Proof of Correction
If there are any mechanical, insurance or registration violations included in the citation, proof of correction will be required before you can pay the citation. To get the proof of correction, first fix the problem for which you were cited and then take your citation to the law enforcement agency that cited you and in turn, they will then "sign off" the ticket. The signed-off ticket must be included along with any fine or fee due when you mail in your payment or bring it into our offices.

Payment Requests
If you cannot afford to pay your fine all at once, the court will allow you to make payments. The Court charges an installment fee of $50 to $100 (based on the number of separate payments scheduled).  You may appear on the date noted on your courtesy notice at 8:30am if you are an adult or 3:00pm (Truckee 3:30pm) if you are under 18. If you are under 18 you must bring a parent or legal guardian with you to court. Please make sure you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your court time as late arrivals will not be seen and you will have to make another court date.

Credit Card Payments
We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover for Traffic, Criminal and Misdemeanor fines.  If you want to pay on-line or use an American Express card, please search for your case using our Case Lookup page. Simply click the green PAY button when you see it.  Please note that if you choose to use the on-line payments option, you will be charged a fee.

Failure to Appear / Failure to Pay
If you fail to appear or fail to remit the required bail, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and/or your account will be referred to GC Services (Collection Agency). You may call GC Services toll free at 800-333-8395 or contact a local representative to discuss your options.

Top of Page