Under the code of Civil Procedure, Section 116.260, each county is
required to provide individual assistance and advice to small claims
litigants and potential litigants at no charge. This service is conducted
by the Nevada County Court's Public Law Center.
The Small Claims Advisor is located in the Public Law Center, 201
Church Street, Ste 9, Nevada City, CA 95959 (1st floor of the courthouse).
The phone number is (530) 470-2594. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00
p.m. Monday through Thursday; Friday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. - closed for lunch all days
Appointments are not necessary, however the Advisor will only meet
with litigants in person.
IMPORTANT! COURT CLERKS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE LEGAL ADVICE
OR ASSIST YOU IN COMPLETING YOUR CLAIM.
The following may help you better understand the functions and limitations
of the Advisory Service:
- The Advisor can only assist you in matters which could involve
Small Claims Court and related areas.
- The Advisor will offer you information and opinions
based upon education, experience and the facts presented.
- The Advisor may provide information regarding referrals to
- The Advisor may suggest a lawyer referral service when issues
are complex or more detailed attention is desired.
- The Advisor may refer you to the Law Library or other source
to research your own inquiries further.
- The Advisor cannot represent anyone and is not an advocate.
- The Advisor does not prepare documents.
- Communications with the Advisor are confidential.
- Advisors have the immunity conferred by Section 818.9 of the
Government Code with respect to the advice given.
- Please remember, often there is no clear-cut, exact answer.