-- Courthouse News....
Looking for an old news item? Click Here to search our archives.
Facimile Copies of Tentative Rulings Discontinued
Effective April 1, 2013, we will discontinue the practice of faxing tentative rulings to attorneys /parties. TRs will continue to be posted on our court website and parties without access to the internet may continue to call the clerks’ offices to have the substance of rulings read over the phone. | read more >>
Governor Brown Appoints Linda J. Sloven Judge
SACRAMENTO December 27, 2012 – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today announced the appointment of Linda J. Sloven to a judgeship in the Nevada County Superior Court.
Sloven, 58, of Nevada City, has been an attorney at Linda J. Sloven, Attorney at Law, since 1994. She was an attorney at Goldstein Demchak Baller Borgen and Dardarian from 1989 to 1993 and an associate attorney at Kazan McClain Greenwood and Harley from 1981 to 1988. Sloven was a staff attorney at Toward Utility Rate Normalization from 1980 to 1981. She earned a Juris Doctorate degree from Golden Gate University School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, Berkeley. Sloven fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Julie A. McManus. Sloven is a Democrat.
Notice of Fee Changes
As a result of the enactment of SB 1021, various civil filing fees have been established or increased as of June 27, 2012. The additional revenue from these fee changes will be used to offset reductions to trial court funding.
• $50 fee for delivering a will to the clerk of the superior court under Probate Code section 8200.
• $30 fee for court reporting services in civil proceedings lasting under one hour.
• $40 increase to first paper filing fees for unlimited civil cases where the amount in controversy is more than $25,000.
• $40 increase to various probate and family law fees.
• $20 increase to various motion fees.
• $450 increase to the complex case fee.
• The advance jury fee is fixed at $150, is no longer refundable, and must be deposited earlier than previously required. The fee is due on or before the date scheduled for the initial case management conference in the action; if no case management conference is scheduled, no later than 365 calendar days after the filing of the initial complaint; if the party has not appeared before the initial case management conference or has appeared more than 365 calendar days after the filing of the initial complaint, at least 25 calendar days before the date initially set for trial; or if the action is for unlawful detainer action, at least five days before the date set for trial.
Notice of Change in Hours
OFFICIAL PUBLIC NOTICE (click to open)
Beginning November 4, 2011, Friday courthouse hours changed to 8:00 a.m.to 3:00 p.m. and Clerks’ Office hours changed to 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. This change in hours will continue to and will remain in effect until June 30, 2013. This change applies to the courthouse and clerks’ office locations in Nevada City and Truckee.
History on Display at Truckee Courthouse
- Read Press Release here...
Scholarship Program Announced
The Superior Court Judges of Nevada County are pleased to announce the availability of the John H. Darlington Scholarship award for students planning careers in alcohol and drug abuse counseling. This $1,000.00 scholarship is available annually through a merit-based application process. Each interested applicant is required to write a one-page essay stating why he or she plans a career in alcohol and drug abuse counseling >> more | application